Friday, May 1, 2009

the java club



for the last 6 years, brendan has been fortunate enough to work with the g/t teacher at his school. i have a deep admiration and enormous gratitude for all the teachers that have worked with my kids. well except for bella's 1st grade teacher that was completely worthless but that's a different story. Anyway the g/t teacher is completely amazing. she is one of those teachers that i know brendan will look back later in life and remember her as a teacher that greatly influenced his academic career. she has taught him so many things over the years. and she is the teacher that he wants to please. her opinion means so much to him because he has so much respect for her. one of the things she does with her 5th grade students is "java club". she started it a few years ago. the kids work on a poetry unit and then she binds all the poems neatly in a cool binder and then the kids perform their work infront of their peers and parents. she transforms one of the corners of the library into a little coffee shop, complete with mood lighting, bongo drums and a coffee barista. it makes for a delightful morning (thanks to jami for watching lil's so that i could attend) each student reads a total of 4 poems. below i am posting my favorite and the brendan's favorite. he did such a good job!
MAP OF MAPS
maps
directions
places to be
it's something to point the way
an adventure behind every page
it's the space between spaces
relaxing but intimidating
always seen but yet unseen
nothing hides better
it's an unsolvable puzzle
no way in, no way out
always in, but never out
two exceptions pre-born and dead is someplace else
out where you wait for a portal
completely unveiled
you do or you don't
it never comes back
so be certain of your choice
to follow the path of all things
a map
CRAB
i am a crab
fear me!
my shield defends
fear me!
i grow to the size of a volleyball
fear me!
i pinch with my claws
fear me!
a guy in a hawaiian shirt comes
fear me!
AHH! no leave me alone
don't put me in there
fear me!
NOOOO

4 comments:

Olivia said...

That is too awesome! Brendan is an amazing kid, and this is something he will remember forever. Very, very cool!

Jenn said...

WOW! I gotta admit, I never would have guessed that those were Brendan's. What a kid!

Jami said...

He did a great job! Way to go.

kim said...

Very impressive. What a great talent he has. Good idea to document it!