Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Why Are We Here Exactly??

Have you ever had one of those Sunday's where you know from the minute you get up that it is going to be a crazy church day? That was us this Sunday. I knew from the minute we got up that we were in for it. The kids were all wild as wild could be. Jumping from one thing to another and doing nothing to help us all get ready and out the door. As usual the church shoes were eluding us so we had to hunt all over for those. Once they were found Bella and Brooke were chasing each other around the house and as Bella is running up the stairs, Brooke steps on the tie to her dress and rips the tie right off. Now this can't be an old dress, it has to be the Easter dress that we looked all over for and is absolutely beautiful and I Can't Sew!!! Hopefully one of my sewing friends will take pity on me and fix it for her. Once a replacement dress was adorning Bella we rushed everyone out to the car to get to church where I was supposed to be at a choir practice ten minutes ago. Once church starts the kiddos don't calm down at all. Lily starts doing pull ups on the back of the pew trying desperately to talk to her little friend in front of her. She finally gives up on that only to discover that one of the nursery workers is sitting behind us. Apparently she really likes him. I thought she was going to catapult herself over the pew and into his lap. Grinning and giggling at him with pure baby joy. I think she has found her first crush! When she figured out that she wasn't going to be able to get to him by going over the pew she decided to try her luck at going under. Which she succeeded in doing twice. Now while this is going on the other Hahl children are not sitting quietly and listening to the speakers. Brooke is taking turns running from Larry to me flopping herself in our laps, crawling all over us. At one point, Larry and I just looked at each other, shook our heads and chuckled. Asking each other the silent question "Why are we here exactly??". The time comes for the choir to sing so I get up to take my place. I am kind of a creature of habit when it comes to singing. I have a certain place that I like to stand and I have a certain person that I like to stand by. But when I got up to the stand there was some commotion and my singing buddy wasn't there yet so I went ahead and got in line. Big mistake. The mojo was off. We didn't have enough books so I had to turn to the right instead of the left because I had to share a book. Turning to the right meant I couldn't see the director. I tried turning to the left but I couldn't see the book due to my increasingly poor eyesight. Initially I didn't think this would be a big deal because I have sung the song at least four times in a choir before and I knew the music. But since the day had been so crazy, my head was not it the moment and the auto pilot did not come on. I came in late four times, got lost once and for some reason found that to be funny so I had to concentrate really hard at not laughing during the song. Disaster!! Easily my worst choir performance ever. My contribution was nil. When church was finally over I felt like I had been through four rounds of WWF and had to apologize to those around us. And what did I get out of it?? Not a single thing. I don't think I heard more than three words of what was said. Leaving me to ask the question - Why are we here?? Can someone fill me in because I am not seeing the purpose today!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun day... I've had similar experiences....Sundays like these really help us apperciate the ones where we actually hear one or two of the talks. Good Luck next week!

Anonymous said...

Sounds a lot like my house...except, I know how to sew. Bring the dress over and I will have a look at it.