Friday, March 13, 2009

date with the phantom

i truly love the theatre. if i had unlimited resources i would attend every show with seats in the front row. but since i don't have unlimited resources i have a "must see" list, purchase seats in the first balcony and bring my binoculars for an occasional up close and personal view. "the phantom of the opera" ranks high up on the must see list. i have been in love with the music of "tpoto" since i was a teenager. i wanted the soundtrack forever and one saturday afternoon i had saved up enough babysitting money (back in those days babysitting wasn't as profitable as it is now so it took a little while) to purchase it. on the way home from said purchase i convinced my parents to put the tape in and my dad's prompt response was "that is what you couldn't wait to buy??" he just didn't appreciate the genius of the music the way i did. my dad is a pretty traditional kind of guy. not a fan of loud music and the minor tones just didn't appeal to him. but for me, it was the beginning of an obsession. the music for "tpoto" captures the intrigue, complexity and passion of the story so well. it courses through your veins and makes your blood sing. but to completely appreciate it you have to attend the theatre. there is nothing like experiencing the excitement, energy and total captivation that a live touring company performance creates. it's sheer magic. i can't wait for the next opportunity to see a show. i have seen "wicked' once, but once simply is not enough. so, come this fall, i am so there! and i know that once again i will be mesmerized and transformed to a different time and place for a few marvelous hours.

3 comments:

Olivia said...

WORD! It was SO awesome!!! I'm very grateful to you for cotributing to my new love for the theater. Thanks, friend!

Ruth said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

I wish that I could have been there... it is one of my favorites of all time...I have seen it 3 times in San Francisco. But since I have a background in theatre (backstage mostly), I loved watching all of the pre show prep on all of the rigging...and I know how they do all of thier tricks too. Glad you had a great time!