Sunday, January 11, 2009

fun with the cricut

right before christmas a lovely package was delivered to my door. within it was one of the most exciting gifts i have received in a long time. a cricut machine!! my sister in law char, who is waaayyy too sweet and generous for her own good, thought that i might like one. because of the holiday's i haven't been able to play with it much. i've wanted to, but things were just really nutty. so yesterday larry was out hunting - again - the big kids were off playing with friends and it seemed like the perfect time to tackle a little project. so i took my normal, boring star and turned it into a work of art. okay, so maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration but it's definately cooler than it was before!
i went with black because i wanted the lettering to be subtle. unfortunately i'm afraid that i might have made it too subtle. it was good practice though. the biggest problem i had was that after the vinyl was cut and i was trying to seperate the scrap vinyl from the cut vinyl, the letters kept coming off to. does anyone know how to prevent that? anyway, i have so many cool ideas of things to make and transform i can hardly stand it! starting with the walls in char's house. larry has been building stuff for her new house and we are going there this weekend to deliver them and play. so check in next week to see what creations we come up with. and a huge thank you to char. you are better to me than i deserve.

8 comments:

Laura said...

what an awsome sister-in-law. When cutting vinyl make sure your dials are set on 1(speed)
3(pressure) 6(blade).
I love working with vinyl. I will be looking forward to see what you have been doing.

kim cherry said...

okay...i'm a bit jealous. that is an awesome gift!!! can't wait to see all the lovely stuff you create. :)

Jandi said...

looks good. oh the fun you are going to have...

Olivia said...

I like what you did with the star!

Jenn said...

Too fun! I am so jealous! I don't think that my old school cricut does the vinyl (I have the original one...) :( . I would can't wait to see what the new one does!

Angie Fellows said...

The star looks great!!! What a fun gift!

kim said...

Love the star! Great idea.

Kendria said...

Let the creative madness begin! You will have to let me come over and see that crazy machine you have!