Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Bear Lake Chronicles - Four Wheeling Fun

Another great thing about the Bear Lake area is that four wheelers are everywhere. You can ride them on the beach, you can even ride them in the road if you want. We took our three and Larry's sister Charlotte took her two along with two dirt bikes. So there was a whole lotta riding going on. Which was fine by us because we love to ride. The trails were extremely dusty so everyone came back caked in dirt and cow pies. Yuck!!
Nephews Dan and Spencer
They look like they have been through a desert dust storm or something. And the bad thing about getting this dusty is that you have grit in your mouth for hours. The men definitely rode the most, but the girls got in some good rides as well.

Niece Ryan, Nancy and me
Now I know what you are thinking:
1. Are they riding or scuba diving?? What's up with the giant goggles?
2. Are those really porta potties in the backgroud??
Answers:
1. We are riding but didn't feel like wearing helmets. We needed good eye protection so we took the goggles off the helmets and just wore those. When I ride on a trail I prefer to wear a helmet. This ride I didn't and I had an accident which could have been really bad, so it was a very good lesson for me. You will not catch me on the trail again without a helmet. Promise! And we always make our kids wear helmets.
2. Those are porta potties! When you have 31 people at a house you need a few more bathrooms. We also had an outdoor shower, three tents and three hammocks. Yes, we got a few stares as people drove by.

Larry and I took a ride up to the top of a near by hill that over looks the lake. We had grand ideas of watching the sunset because they are so gorgeous up there. Unfortunately, we forgot our bug spray and mosquitoes ate us alive within two minutes of stopping. So we watched the sunset as we were riding back to the house.

Our attempt at a little photo shoot before the mosquitoes chased us away.

As for my accident, I wasn't going to go into detail because it's a little bit embarrassing. But there were some comments about my gimpy leg and a few questions about what happened so here is the scoop. We were riding and I went through a little stream crossing that was uphill. For some reason the backend of my fourwheeler slid and drove me off the trail. Now there are spots on the trail where the sides are open and there are spots where the trees line the trail. This was a spot where the trail was lined by trees, or big bushy tree like things. I hit one of those which caused the handlebars to turn sharply to the right. My body flew off my seat because the bike was no longer moving. I flew into the end of the handle bar right above where my leg meets my abdomen. The pain was horrible and shot all the way to my backside and down my leg. So I have a nasty, nasty looking bruise (which I will not post pictures of due to the delicate location) and for a couple of days I could hardly wear pants, walking was hard and stairs was almost impossible. But it is healing really well and only hurts now when I do stairs. It honestly was a good lesson for me though because it showed me how fast a ride can go from fun to dangerous.

3 comments:

Olivia said...

It looks so beautiful there! Glad to hear your leg is healing well!

Angie Fellows said...

Wow- now that sounds like a truly intense battle wound. Thanks for sharing the story You are one hard core mama. =)

Kimber said...

I'm glad that you are okay... As a paramedic I was going to scold you but I can tell you've learned your lesson... : ) It is fun to see a picture of you and Larry together.