Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Is It Really Time To Go Back To School??

Today was Brendan and Bella's first day back at school. Normally I am more than ready for this day to occur but for some reason this time I am not feeling it. It seems like they should have more summertime fun. But alas, it is not to be. And surprisingly they seemed ready to go back.
This is going to be a big year for Brendan. His last year of elementary school. In Colorado middle school starts at 6th grade. This is not something that I am happy about, but unless we move within the next year there is not a lot I can do about it. As a fifth grader I think he kind of feels the way seniors do. You know, big man on campus, older than everyone, that kind of stuff. It should be really exciting for him. And Bella is really looking forward to 3rd grade and the challenges it brings. She has been out of school since the end of May and has really missed her friends. Always the social butterfly that one! We have had a lot going on around here, but she still has missed her school friends. Since we are talking about Bella I have to share with you her new little boo boo. Before we left town for vacation we did some school supply shopping, but didn't get it all done because the supplies were not out yet. So yesterday late afternoon I loaded up the kids and we went to get the last little bit done. As we got out of the car the wind started to pickup and it was blowing pretty hard. I was putting Lily into the cart when the wind grabbed the list out of my hand and blew it away. It went right past Bella so I asked her to go get it. She was running full speed ahead when she fell face down. At first she was quiet so I thought that either she hadn't really hurt herself, or she was knocked unconscious, hard to tell at that point. And then the wailing began. I could tell from how she was crying that she was really hurt. I started to make my way over there with Lily and Brooke in tow and the crying kept getting louder and louder. There was a lady that was much closer to Bella than me and I thought for a second maybe she was going to be a good Samaritan and help out. Instead, she looked down at Bella and kept on walking and talking on her cell phone. I uttered a little something about karma under my breath and proceeded over to poor screaming Bella. I got her picked up and her side was a total mess. We quickly hurried home where thankfully Larry was waiting for us. Here is a picture of her injury.
It is kind of hard to see, but the big cut is actually pretty deep and really wide. We debated about whether or not she needed to go to the dr to get stitches. In the end Larry decided that he could butterfly it together. We will know later on today if that was the correct decision or not. Our friend from down the street is a dr and is going to take a look at it when she gets home from school. Thanks Dr. J! I am sure it is probably ok, but I have such a hard time telling whether or not stitches are required. I think if it wasn't so wide she would be better off but if I take my pinky finger from the joint to the tip it's about half that wide, maybe a little bit less. And of course it is really super sore because she hit it right on the bone and there was no fat to cushion the fall. Larry and I keep telling her that she has to stop getting hurt in ways that leave scars or she is going to ruin her modeling career! Just Kidding. I am glad that she didn't break anything but she is going to be hurting for awhile I think.

4 comments:

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

I hope Bella is feeling better...she is a beautiful as ever. She and Jackson can hook up after his mission. School starts for us in a week and a half. Jackson gets a full three weeks of summer vacation.

Olivia said...

woah, that is a major gash. Between your leg and her hip, I bet you guys make quite the pair. Hope Larry is being a good nurse for ya!

Laura Campbell said...

Ouch!!! That looks seriously painful!!

Angie Fellows said...

Ouch! That's a pretty big battle wound. Hope she gets better soon! What happened to your leg?