Friday, August 15, 2008

Info that I thought I would share

Do you know what to do if your child sticks their finger into an opened can trapping their finger between the cut lid and the can?? I did not have a clue what to do this evening when Lily reached into the trash can, grabbed a can and did exactly that. I was petrified. All I could think about was that I was going to cut the tip of her finger off trying to get it out and Larry wasn't home so how was I going to look marching into the emergency room with all those kids in tow while Lily's severed finger bled profusely. And of course there would be the social service type questions when they saw Brooke and Lily's eye (I was brave enough to take them out together today and had two people ask me what happened to them). I called Larry and in my panicked state I didn't explain the situation in a way that made sense so I started calling his sisters because they just always seem to know what to do with that kind of stuff. And they speak hysterical mom language. So, if this happens to your kiddos, take their hand and push it down towards the bottom of the can. The lid will release and let the trapped finger go. The finger will be cut, but it shouldn't be too bad. And just try to keep them from wiggling it or pulling up because that makes the cut larger. Now some of you might be thinking, "well if she had a safety can opener that wouldn't happen". And you would be right. But, I have had more than one of those and for some reason they break every time! I'm sure it's just my luck and that they work great for everyone else. Of course since this happened I will however be purchasing another one......

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Don't you love how it seems like Daddy is always gone when such tragedies strike. Yeah--well, I would vouch for you if children's services came after you!

kim said...

I have a can opener from Wal-mart and it works great. Now after I saw that, you will buy it and it will break on you or something. Sorry that happened to Lily. Glad you did not have to take her to the emergency room!

Adventures In The Land Of Hahl said...

to jenn - i think that in order for those things to happen it's a requirement that dad is not present. guess where larry was when brooke had her headon collision on the tramp??
to kim - you'll have to let me know which one you have. i am sure it will break b\c that is my luck but i'm willing to give it a try!

kim cherry said...

ooo....i wouldn't have had a clue as to what to do! good thing you have sisters that know. scary! i'm glad she is okay, with all ten fingers securely in place!

Kendria said...

All of my safety can openers have broken too! I am glad you posted this so I will know what to do when Deacon does that someday!