Sunday, June 28, 2009

my favorite summer time cake

i am a cake kind of a gal. i love sweet treats (more than i should of course). and this is my current favorite summertime cake. i got it from the ivy bake shoppe cookbook that my m.i.l gave to me a few years ago. it is full of super yummy recipes. if you are in the nauvoo area a trip across the ft. madison bridge to visit this delightful shop would be a pleasant treat for your taste buds.

mandarin orange cake

1 yellow cake mix (+ 1\2 cup flour for high altitude)
2/3 c vegetable oil
1/2 c sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 9oz can mandarin oranges with juice

frosting
1 small box instant vanilla pudding
1 c crushed pineapple with juice
1 12oz container cool whip, thawed
i usually make a double batch of frosting b\c my family loves it so much

mix all the cake ingredients together and beat for 2 minutes on high. pour into 2 greased and floured 9" round cake pans. bake at 350 for 25/30 mins. set aside and cool completely

for the frosting, mix the pudding and the crushed pineapple together and beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. fold in whipped topping, stirring carefully. assemble cakes with frosting between layers.

yum!

4 comments:

Olivia said...

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to try a gluten free version of that because it sounds delightfully perfect for summer! Yummers!!!

Ruth said...

That looks and sounds delicious!

sari said...

Yummy..i will have to try it.

Kendria said...

I think I will have to print this out and try it sometime... Any leftovers?