Saturday, June 14, 2008

Plans Run Amuck

As I went to bed last night, I had an idea in my mind of what today was going to be like. In my mind, it played out something like this:
We got to bed late, so I figured the kids would sleep in late. After a nice little sleep in we would eat some breakfast, get ready for the day and head out to the mall to pick up Larry's F.D. present. I knew that Larry was going to be working most of the day so we would get this done in the morning. Go grab some lunch, take the kiddos to a birthday party. Afterwards do a little grocery shopping and then I would do some house cleaning in the evening. Instead this is how my day turned out.
Lily decided that she didn't want to have any part of sleeping in. She starting whimpering around 6 so I went in and laid her down with me (Larry left at 5). I was hoping this would help her sleep for a couple more hours, but instead it only bought me about 1. That was a little bit disappointing but I could handle it. Everyone gets up and I grab some waffles from the freezer for breakfast. When I grab the box I notice it's wet. That's not a good sign. I go to take the waffles out and they are completely thawed. That is a really bad sign. I start looking around the freezer and it becomes clear very quickly that it has almost completely defrosted itself. I open the fridge and almost everything is room temperature. You have got to be kidding me! Why does this have to happen on the one Saturday that Larry is not here!! I spend the next few hours throwing food away to the tune of three trash bags. That hurts the food budget a little bit. Luckily we have a fridge in the garage so I was able to transfer the food that was still good to it. The thing that upset me the most is that I had made a fabulous brownie trifle the day before and it did not survive the room temperature. That almost brought tears to my eyes. Thankfully, we had eaten most of it and only brought a little bit home. If it had been half of it, I most likely would have broken into tears. Silly I know, but I have been depriving myself of sweets and that was my one indulgence this week.
BUT the whole day was not bad. There were some highlights:
The girls went to a really fun birthday party and played in the spraygrounds having so much fun. They could have stayed there all day. Lily did not get hurt on her catapult head dive over the cement half wall. That could have ended very, very badly. Brendan got to play with his buddy all day. The neighbors offered to let him stay longer when they found out that I needed to go to the mall and they kept Bella too. They would have kept Brooke as well but that seemed like too much to me since Brendan had literally been at their house all day. I guess having their kids over here all the time pays off occasionally. And they got out their giant inflatable water slide so the kids played on that for hours. Lily even went down with Scott. She thought is was great! The guy at the jewelry store (were I picked up Larry's resized wedding ring; let's hope it fits!) told me after looking at my license that I looked really young for my age. Now I know that sounds cheesy but I gotta tell you, my bday is coming up in a couple of weeks and I will be halfway through my 30's. That is not something that I am looking forward to. So, any inkling of a compliment on not looking as old as I am is HUGE for me right now. Almost made up for the ruined brownie trifle. And now it's 11:20, time for bed. I didn't get any of the housework done that I needed to. It will wait until tomorrow. Poor Larry still is not home. He called to say he was on his way. I think it's fair to say that even though my day started off really, really bad at the end of it his day was way worse than mine. It shall be interesting to see what tomorrow brings after such a unique one today.

1 comments:

Olivia said...

Oh, man. Sorry to hear that this week will be h**l week for you :(
Maybe the karma fairy will pay you back soon when you really need some things to go well. Did you get your fridge fixed? Good luck, Tammy! Call me when you need to vent :)