Thursday, June 19, 2008

Tires Anyone?!?!?

Today was another one of those great "adventures" that we love so much. I went to get into the car this morning and a little flash of silver caught my eye. It was the top of a nail or screw, it was kind of hard to tell, and the tire was a little flat. I didn't want to end up with a completely flat tire so I called a tire shop to schedule an appointment and asked how long it would take because I was going to have to bring five kids with me. They assured me that they could get me in and out without a problem. I grabbed a few snacks and we headed out to get the tire fixed. By the time they pulled the durango into the shop to look at it we were out of snacks so I knew that we only had a short amount of time before the good behavior would end. Everyone wanted to see what they were doing to the car so I took them all over to the glass door to watch. They were fascinated by what the guys were doing so I thought we were going to make it through the adventure without a problem. Then we got the bad news. There was not one nail in my tire but five. Yes you read it correctly five nails in my tire. Now I know what you are thinking, where did she get five nails in her tire? Well I wish I knew cause I would put a big warning sign up for everyone. Of course there are probably no nails left because obviously I picked them all up on the way through. So the tire is unfixable. And since the car is an all wheel drive we can't just get one new tire the guy tells me, we need four. I am sure as he told me this my face resembled that of a deer caught in the headlights. It was one of those moments where I shook my head and thought "Did he just say what I thought he said? Surely not". Then he starts talking to me about all these different tires. Like I had a clue what he was saying. And by now the kids are done. Completely and totally done. They are running around the shop, Lily is pushing the stroller in circles and Ryker, the baby I watch is crying while I am holding him. I politely tell the guy that there is no way I can make a decision like that so I try to get Larry on the phone. Sometimes I can get Larry on the phone right away and other times not. This was one of those not times. And the behavior of the kids is getting worse and worse by the minute. Now the bigger kids are standing on the chairs trying to catch a moth and Lily is hitting the tire guy in the back of the legs with the stroller while he is on the phone. Frantically I look around to try and figure out how to get us out of this mess. But there is no way. I try to set Ryker down to grab Lily and he just screams. I get the girls off the chairs but then one of them gets their leg stuck in the chair and she starts screaming. I want to just throw everyone in the car and drive off but it only has three wheels. "Serenity Now!!!" I kept screaming in my head. There was a girl there about twenty. I'm pretty sure we gave her a really good dose of birth control. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a permanent dose. Finally the tire guy gets off the phone. "Just put the spare on write me up an estimate and we'll deal with it later" I tell him. Twenty minutes later we finally all load up in the car. I am so embarrassed by this time that I am wishing I gave them a fake name. Not that they'll really remember my name, but it would be easier for me to just forget the whole fiasco if I could remain anonymous. But on the bright side, I am positive that I gave a few people a good laugh. And, it's actually a good thing that we had to make a quick exit because Larry was able to find a shop that had a tire like ours with the same amount of tread wear. So we only had to get one tire after all! Thank heaven for those little "coincidences".

2 comments:

Angie Fellows said...

Oh the joy! What a pain. I'm so sorry. We are having problems with our windows. One is stuck down. Don't car problems suck?

Olivia said...

Wow, yeah, sounds like life is really dealing you some interesting cards to play lately. You're not praying for patience are you? Snicker, snicker :)